The Elements of Rhetoric offers a concise, comprehensive course in the rules for making your point stick. With copious examples from such masters of language as Cicero, Augustine, Shakespeare, Erasmus, Lincoln, Dickens, Newman, Chesterton, and Lewis, you will discover the 26 rules of persuasion and learn to apply them. Among the Elements you’ll find:
- The three modes of persuasion
- How to structure an academic essay
- How to spot and avoid logical fallacies
- How to compose with literary figures
- Practical tips for improving speed in composition
- A Study Guide with exercises
This is the essential guide to persuasive writing and speaking, in the tradition of Strunk and White’s The Elements of Style.